fbpx
109 York Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325
717-334-2012

Stephen Ministry

Stephen Ministers are lay people – Christian men and women – trained to provide one-to-one care to people experiencing a difficult time in life, such as grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, relocation or separation due to military deployment.

A Stephen Minister begins a caring relationship when he or she is matched with a person experiencing a life crisis. The Stephen Minister then meets with that person on a weekly basis to listen, care, encourage, and provide emotional and spiritual support. The caring relationship lasts as long as the person is in need of care.

Requesting a Stephen Minister

If you would like to request a Stephen Minister or learn more about the program at St. James, please contact Pastor Andrew at 717-334-2012 ext. 206.

Training to Become a Stephen Minister

St. James works in conjunction with Lutheran Social Services and other local congregations to offer periodic training to become a Stephen Minister. Please contact Pastor Andrew at 717-334-2012 ext. 206 if you are interested in future training!

Blessings of Serving

Testimonials from Stephen Ministers who experience God’s grace by ministering to others:

Without a doubt, serving as a Stephen Minister has been the most rewarding, growth-producing, meaningful thing I’ve ever done!

Don, Electrician
Highland, Michigan

Stephen Minister training has given me skills I use all the time with my patients, particularly when they experience a crisis, large or small. It enables me to provide a level of emotional care that enhances the clinical care we provide.

Barbara, Dental Hygienist
Saginaw, Michigan

God gave me a heart for other people. Stephen Ministry gave me the skills I needed to minister to other people and bring God’s love into their lives during a time of deep need. I’m humbled and awed God can use me like this.

Charlotte, Case Management
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania